An extended marinade tenderizes the meat while layering on the flavor, before its charred to perfection on the grill.
Flank steak is such a perfect cut for grilling. The even thickness makes it easy to achieve an even cook, and though it is a more robust cut it’s packed with flavor. The trick to a tender flank steak is using a marinade to break down the proteins and tenderize it, AND to cut it across the grain before serving. The thinner you slice it, the more tender it will be! This marinade is packed with flavors like Worcestershire sauce and chipotle, but feel free to put your own spin on it. You can try adding soy sauce, flavorful oils like sesame, or using a broth instead of orange juice.
I like to pair this recipe with a roasted corn salsa which can also be made on the grill, it’s a great way to create a whole meat outside while your coals are warm. The main trick is the just keep flipping the steak, which will allow it to cook completely without overcooking on any one side.
To really nail the doneness, you should use a quality reliable meat thermometer to monitor internal temperature. You can use the following chart to achieve your preferred doneness, though I recommend you cook to at least medium rare- flank can be a little chewy when rare.
- Rare: 120-125f
- Medium rare: 130-135f
- Medium: 140-145f
- Well done: 150f+
The USDA recommends steaks be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F and allowed to rest for 3 minutes.
THIS RECIPE WAS MADE POSSIBLE BY THE GOOD FOLKS AT THE BEEF LOVING TEXANS. For more beef recipes visit beeflovingtexans.comPrint
Recipe: Flavorful Grilled Marinaded Flank Steak
- Total Time: 24 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: serves 6
1.5 lb of flank steak
3.5 oz chipotle pepper in adobo
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves
1.5 cups orange juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Prepare to marinade the steak 16-24 hours prior to cooking.
- Combine chipotle in adobo, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, salt and orange juice in a blender. Pulse until combined.
- Place the flank steak in a sealable bag, then add the marinade, moving it around in the bag to ensure it’s well coated. Place in the fridge for 16-24 hours.
- Preheat a grill for direct cooking at medium heat, 350-400 degrees.
- Remove the flank steak from the bag and discard the marinade. Pat the surface of the steak somewhat dry to encourage browning on the grill.
- Place the steak on the grill, and cook using the “Just Keep Flipping” method – turning it over every 30-60 seconds over direct heat. This will allow the steak to cook thoroughly without burning.
- Cook until the center reads 135f on a meat thermometer (about 10-15 minutes total).
- Remove steak from grill and rest under foil for 7-10 minutes. Slice across the grain to serve.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Tex Mex