4 skinless chicken thighs
24 mini waffles
6 cups (around 48 oz) vegetable or canola oil
1/2 c milk or buttermilk
1 c flour
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp hot sauce (Crystal, Tabasco, Franks or similar)
2 tbsp cayenne
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder (ancho, chipotle, or similar)
- Prepare two bowls to coat chicken. In the first bowl, place egg, milk and hot sauce and mix well. Into the second bowl, combine flour, salt & black pepper.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 6 pieces (or pieces around the same size as your mini waffles), and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a dutch oven or deep pan, heat oil on the stove until it reaches 325f.
- Take a piece of chicken and coat it in flour, then egg mix, then back into the flour, and place it on some baking paper. Repeat until all pieces are coated.
- When oil is up to temp, fry off a few pieces at a time, taking care not to overcrowd the pan, and allowing oil to return to temperature before adding the next batch. Fry each piece until golden brown, with internal temperature measuring 165f. As you remove the pieces, place them on a rack over foil to cool.
- In another bowl, combine cayenne, chili powder, garlic, paprika and sugar along with 1/2 cup of the frying oil. Stir well, then brush this oil solution over the fried chicken pieces.
- Heat the waffles according to manufacturer directions, then top each one with a piece of chicken and a candied jalapeno.