2 large sweet or yellow onions
1 pint buttermilk (16 fl oz)
2.5 cups AP flour
¼ cup Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning
4-6 cups peanut, canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and finely slice an onion into ⅛” thick slices. I recommend using a mandoline for this to get thin slices.
- Place the sliced onions into a non-reactive bowl, and pour over the buttermilk, making sure everything is submerged. Soak the onions in the buttermilk for 30-60 minutes.
- In a large bowl or resealable bag, place the flour and seasoning, and mix well.
- Place the oil into a high sided pot, and place over high heat. Heat to 375f.
- Drain the onions, then take a handful of onions and drop them into the flour mixture. Toss them in the flour to coat, then shake off any excess and lower into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Then use a spider or slotted spoon to remove them, and place them onto a rack to drain any excess oil.
- Repeat the process in batches until all onions are fried. Wait for the oil to come back up to temperature between each batch.
- Best served 3-5 minutes after frying, or hold them on the rack until ready to use – this applies to same day use only. You can reheat them for 5-10 minutes in a 400f oven if desired.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: sides
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: burgers, fried