For the rub:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon thyme powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons canola, olive or vegetable oil
1–2 fresh limes (optional)
- To make the rub, combine all seasoning ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the chicken under cold water and roughly pat dry with paper towel. Since the chicken is deboned, it actually will lay out in flat pieces when grilled. Place chicken thighs in a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat pieced thoroughly.
- Add seasoning to bowl, shaking across the top of the meat. Toss again to ensure all the chicken is coated, and the seasoning has adhered to both sides of the meat.
- Prepare a charcoal/wood grill for high heat grilling (about 500-550 degrees). You should not be able to hold your hand over the top of the grates for any longer than 2 seconds.
- Oil the grates, then lay the chicken pieces out flat directly over the heat. After 2 minutes, flip the chicken over. Repeat, flipping the chicken every 2 minutes until the thighs register 163-165f at the thickest part.
- Remove from heat and serve. If desired, squeeze fresh lime juice over surface before eating.