1 x venison top round roast
1–2 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Camo seasoning
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot (or 1/4 yellow onion), finely diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme or rosemary, chopped
1 x 10.5 oz can of beef consomme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons soy sauce (preferably dark)
2 x hoagie rolls or baguettes
- Preheat an oven to 325 f.
- Pat the venison dry with paper towels, then season well all over with Hardcore Carnivore Camo seasoning. Cover a tray in foil for easy cleaning, then place a rack on top. Lay the venison on the rack, then place into the oven to roast for about 60-80 minutes until the internal temperature reads 135f on a thermometer. Its recommended to start monitoring the temperature after about 50 minutes to prevent overcooking.
- While the venison cooks, make the au jus. Giving it extra time to reduce intensifies the flavor. Place a saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and melt, then add the shallot. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the fresh herbs and stir for another minute. Slowly stir in the consomme, then add the broth, Worcestershire and soy sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow the mixture to slowly reduce.
- When the venison is at the correct temperature, remove it from the oven and let it rest under foil for 15-20 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice thinly using a meat slicer or sharp knife.
- Prepare the hoagie rolls by slicing them nearly all the way through, but leaving one side attached (like a clam shell). This helps the sandwich hold together.
- Ladle some of the au jus into a ramekin and set aside to serve. I do this because the assembly step moves very fast, and as soon as the sandwiches are ready you’re doing to want to eat them!
- Assemble the sandwiches. Use tongs to grab some slices of venison, quickly drag them through the hot au jus in the saucepan to dip them, then arrange them into the hoagie roll. Repeat until both rolls are generously filled.
- Serve the sandwiches along with the au jus.
- Category: sandwiches, venison