3–4 lb venison backstrap, whole
3 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp ground nutmeg
6 oz fresh or frozen blackberries
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
Juice & zest of one lemon
1–2 star anise (optional)
Thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350f/180c.
- Combine salt, pepper, nutmeg in small bowl. Dry off surface of backstrap with paper towels and sprinkle spice mix liberally on top.
- Heat an oven proof skillet on high. Once smoking hot, place backstrap into skillet to sear, turning every minute or so to make sure all sides are cooked. Then place pan in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pan, place into foil and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing into medallions.
- To make the sauce – combine berries, sugar, vinegar, zest, juice, cloves and anise in a pan, and bring to boil. Add an optional pinch of salt.
- After about 5 minutes of boiling, you should be able to ‘smash’ the berries on the side of the saucepan using a wooden spoon. Continue rapidly simmering sauce a further 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Place medallions on a plate, spoon over generous portions of sauce and top with sprigs of thyme.