7 oz dried figs
1/2 cup bourbon
Juice of one lemon
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white sugar
- Cut the hard nub off the stem of the figs then place in saucepan. Add water, bourbon and lemon juice.
- Bring mix to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until figs have softened. It may help to break the harder ones up with a spoon a little as they cook.
- Using caution because the mixture is hot, transfer mix to a blender and blend thoroughly until there are no large chunks of skin.
- Return the blended mix to saucepan over low heat, and add sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar and thicken to a paste/spread consistency.
- Pour into a clean jar and keep refrigerated.