2.5–3 lb chicken wings
3.5 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo
zest & juice of 1 orange
Zest & juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon achiote paste
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ancho powder
1 teaspoon guajillo powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
Chopped cilantro & Habanero Citrus Sauce to garnish (optional)
- Place chicken wings in a large zip top bag.
- In a high sided container (for blending), place the chipotle peppers, orange & lime zest and juice, achiote paste, garlic, ancho, guajillo, oil, water and salt. Use a stick blender to combine all ingredients until well blended.
- Pour the marinade into the bag and distribute well to coat all the wings. Seal the bag and place into the fridge to marinade at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Pre-heat a grill to medium high. Place the wings directly over the heat, turning every 3-4 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 160-162f. If the wings are developing color too quickly, move them to the edge of the hot zone, so they can continue to cook without burning.
- Once they reach the correct temperature, pile the wings high on a plate and drizzle with Habanero Citrus sauce and a generous sprinkle of cilantro. Serve immediately.