1/4 white or yellow onion, peeled
5 habanero peppers
zest & juice of 1 orange
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1–2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- Peel and chop the carrots into 1″ pieces.
- Place a medium sized saucepan full of water over high heat and bring to boil. Add the carrots and onion and boil for 5-7 minutes. Add the peppers and boil a further 5 minutes.
- Drain, then add the carrot and onion to a high sided container for blending. Place the peppers on a board and remove the stems and seeds, then add to the container. You may want to use gloves for this stage to avoid chili fingers!
- Add in the orange zest & juice, garlic, oil, agave, vinegar, water and salt. Blend until smooth and velvety.
- Taste the sauce, and add more salt if necessary. If you prefer a thinner sauce, you can add additional water 1/4 cup at a time until you reach a desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.