1 whole tri tip steak (about 2.5 lb)
2–3 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Black rub
- Heat a smoker to run at 275f.
- Trim the steak of any silverskin/membrane on the surface using a filet knife. This step isn’t essential, but here’s why you want to do it: unlike fat, which renders during cooking, silverskin doesn’t break down, and can result in a chewier bite.
- Pat the meat dry and season with Hardcore Carnivore Black all over. Be sure to use a generous amount of rub and ensure all the surface is coated. Place tri tip into the smoker. If you have one, insert a probe to monitor temperature. If you don’t have a probe device, use a meat thermometer to start checking the internal temperature about 45 minutes in.
- Once the internal temp at the thickest part reaches 135-140f, remove the meat from the smoker and wrap tightly in foil or butchers paper. It needs to rest for at least 20 minutes, I prefer resting mine in a towel-lined cooler for up to an hour.
- After resting, slice against the grain into 1/4″ strips and serve immediately.
- Method: BBQ