2 tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs rosemary
2–4 cloves garlic
3 limes (juice only)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
salt to taste
- Heat a smoker to between 250 and 275f.
- If using Roma tomatoes, halve them. If using larger tomatoes, cut into quarters. Toss the pieces in the olive oil and place in a heat-proof pan. (I use disposable foil pans for easy cleanup).
- Peel and add the garlic cloves to the pan, then place the Rosemary sprigs on top. Sprinkle a little salt over the tomatoes. Place into the smoker to cook for 3-4 hours, until the tomatoes have deepened in color and softened completely.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled slightly, peel the skin away and discard. Also discard the rosemary and garlic.
- Place the tomatoes into a blender (or use a stick blender). Add the lime juice, water, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt and chipotle powder. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Pour the finished smoked puree into an ice cube tray, then place into the freezer to set. Use as required.