2 large sweet onions (like Vidalia)
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
- Fire up a smoker to run at 250f.
- Peel the onions, cut in half and place into a disposable foil tray. Drizzle oil over the onion halves. Place them in the smoker, uncovered, for about three hours until softened and the color has deepened.
- Once smoked, you’ll need to remove and discard the very outer layer of the onions if it has become papery during the cooking process. Then allow the remaining onions to cool for a half hour before handling further.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, cream cheese and cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until there are no lumps. You can also do this step in a food processor for maximum creamy consistency.
- Roughly dice the cooled onions into medium sized chunks.
- Stir the onions, paprika and salt through the cream cheese mixture and serve. Remaining dip can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.