2 ancho chilies
2 guajillo chilies
2 chile de arbol
2 pasilla chilies
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 cups olive oil
2 teaspoon cider vinegar or juice of half an orange
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/3 cup peptitas
2 teaspoons dried mexican oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare all the dried chilies by removing and discarding the seeds and stems, and roughly chopping.
- Place the oil into a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic, sesame seeds and pepitas. Stir regularly until garlic turns a golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. The mixture should bubble continuously.
- Turn off the heat, then add the chopped chilies. Stir, then let the chilies steep about 10 minutes.
- Pour the oil mixture into a blender, and add the vinegar, salt and oregano.
- Pulse in the blender to combine, but still keep the mixture coarse.
- Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to a month.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Cuisine: Mexican