The classic Aussie sausage roll gets a Texan twist with this all-beef version, studded with fresh jalapeño and cheddar chunks.
Veal Wraps with Mushroom & Blue Cheese
Delicate, tender veal is seared to perfection and stuffed with a tasty umami-bomb combo of mushrooms, thyme and blue cheese.
Naturally, I love this recipe because of how it tastes – it hits me in all the most delicious savory areas of my tastebuds. Red meat protein, mushrooms, pungent blue cheese and flecks of fresh thyme. The wraps can be made up to a day in advance, which also means they are a quick weeknight meal option that will cook up quickly.
Stuffed veal wraps with mushrooms & blue cheese
- 16 oz fresh crimini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz spinach leaves, finely chopped
- ½ c breadcrumbs
- 2lb veal cutlets for scalopinni (12 thin slices)
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- additional salt to season meat
- Start by making the filling. Place a saucepan over medium low heat. Place butter in a saucepan, then add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt, and cook a further 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Add the spinach and breadcrumbs, cook another 2 minutes until spinach is wilted, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble each wrap: lay one of the veal slices on a board, then spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom mixture on top. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture across the surface of the veal. The filling should be no more than ¼ inch thick. Crumble 1 -2 teaspoons of the blue cheese over the top of the filling. Roll the veal in on itself starting at one end, then use a toothpick to secure the other end forming the roll.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet (preferably cast iron), and place over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the veal wraps. Cook for 5-7 minutes until a golden brown crust has formed. Turn the wraps over and cook a further 5-7 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Serve immediately.
Want to request a recipe?
A sweet, spicy and slightly sour relish perfect for slathering over burgers... or just about anything.
Scratch made focaccia is grilled to crusty perfection then smothered in sage scented brown butter