Browning the meat in pork lard and using great quality sauce are the key to these "better than restaurant" venison enchiladas.
Hold the ketchup and try this sweet tomato relish instead!
This recipe for a savory n sweet tomato relish has a hint of a spice and pops of mustard seed. Use it in place of ketchup and pile it high on burgers.
Sweet Tomato Relish Recipe
- 1.5 lb tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Blanche the tomatoes in boiling water then plunge into cold water to remove skins. Chop tomatoes and onions and then place into a bowl with the salt. Cover, and leave for 6-8 hours. Discard the water that accumulates in the bowl.
- Place the onions, tomatoes, sugar, mustard, curry, cayenne and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 60-90 minutes until mixture has thickened and reduced by at least half.
- Dilute the flour with a small amount of water to make a paste. Stir out any lumps, then quickly whisk this into the relish to thicken it.
- Pour relish into a clean glass jar and store for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Want to request a recipe?