This rich and delicious treat features that elusive combo of crisp seared edges with an impossibly tender inside.
Savory Cheddar & Corn Pancakes with Chile Jam
Paired with a healthy serving of bacon and fire roasted chile jam, these savory cheddar & corn pancakes are delicious for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
As breakfast/lunch is to brunch, so breakfast/dinner is to brinner. Yes, brinner is a real thing. But rather than being a mid-way meal, it’s the concept of having breakfast foods for the dinnertime meal. I know it seems strange – after all, who wants to make a supper out of cereal?! But heartier dishes like eggs and waffles make for great evening eats.
Clearly, these savory cheddar & corn pancakes are a brilliant supper option. They would, in fact, be delicious on their own. Adding in a few extra ingredients takes them all the way past Flavortown, via Flavorville and straight to the capitol of Flavorston. It would be remiss of any “hardcore carnivore” not to make a meal from meat, so bacon is an essential addition. Not just any bacon. Crispy, applewood smoked bacon. In fact, you can even make your own using this recipe.
The pancakes themselves are light and airy. They puff in the pan to a texture so fluffy, it’ll make you slide a third helping (and maybe even a fourth) onto your plate. It definitely best to use fresh corn, and the sweet, firm kernels provide some welcomed texture. However, you can substitute fresh with canned corn and the recipe will still work out just fine.
We have bacon. We have pancakes. But there’s still something missing… The secret to bringing this dish together is an unexpected but spectacular condiment – fire roasted green chile jam. It’s easy to make yourself (here’s the recipe), and you’re guaranteed to make friends for life by giving away a few extra jars of it. The chile jam is sweet, hot and smokey. Want a little less heat? Easy, just leave the seeds out.
Assemble your brinner plate, top with a healthy dollop of sour cream, put on your favorite comfy pants and settle in for a serious private moment with your food.
White Cheddar & Corn Pancakes with fire roasted chile jam
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra for cooking
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 1.5 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chile jam
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to mix ingredients. Add egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir or whisk until just combined - do not overmix. Fold in the scallions, cheese and corn.
- Heat a well seasoned cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Also, heat an oven to 200f to keep cooked pancakes warm as you make the batches. Pour some oil into the skillet and use a paper towel to spread evenly across the surface. You will repeat this step between each batch.
- For even pancakes, use an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter, and place into the warm skillet, spreading out slightly. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, then flip and cook a further 2-3 minutes. Once completely cooked, place pancakes on a tray and put into the warming oven. Repeat the process until all the batter is used.
- Serve the warm pancakes piled with sour cream, green chile jam and a side of bacon.
Want to request a recipe?
You don't have to choose between juiciness and smoke flavor - you can have it all! These juicy smoked pork chops have the best of both worlds.
Hit with smoke then cooked until ridiculously tender. Make the most incredibly flavored smoked beef barbacoa with just four ingredients.