Rich caramel flavors meet Mexican ingredients for a completely unique rib glaze that will have you applying layer after delicious layer.
Mini Cornbread, Bacon & Sweet Potato Muffins
If there has ever been a snack to capture the flavors of fall in one go, this is it. Mini cornbread muffins with bacon, sweet potato frosting, pecan and crackling.
These sweet little snacks are loaded with no less than two types of porky goodness (bacon AND crackling!) and would be perfectly at home on your thanksgiving table, or make a great finger food for your holiday party.
Check out how easy it is to make these babies below, then scroll down to the recipe for exact measurements:
Mini Cornbread & Bacon Muffins with Sweet Potato Frosting
- FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1.5 c cornmeal
- 1/2 c flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 c chopped, cooked bacon
- salt to taste
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1.5 large sweet potatoes, peeled, diced and boiled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 c milk
- 24 pecans
- 24 pieces of crackling or chicharrones
- Preheat oven to 375f.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for muffins and stir to combine. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with oil and use a mini cookie scoop to place the batter in each cup. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In a food processor, place cooled cooked sweet potato, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and milk, and pulse until a smooth puree is formed. You may need to scrape down the sides of the processor to make sure there are no large chunks remaining.
- Place a round piping tip in a pastry bag, and fill with the sweet potato mix. Pipe about 1-2 tbsp of 'frosting' onto each muffin, then top each one with a pecan and piece of crackling. Serve immediately, as the crackling will soften with time.
Want to request a recipe?
Tender, smokey and rich, the shank or shin is one of the most glorious cuts you can BBQ. Here's how to achieve perfectly tender smoked beef shank.
Sweet, salty, and packed with umami flavors from the sausage, this cornbread stuffing is practically a meal in itself.