It can well be argued great steak needs no additions – but you won’t regret adding this amazing savory butter. This compound butter...
How to grill perfect bacon wrapped shrimp
The trick to grilling perfect bacon wrapped shrimp is using two-zone heat to get the bacon crisp without burning it.
It’s usually the first appetizer to disappear from the plate. The special union of bacon and shrimp is a treat that most folks just can’t resist. But the method that you use makes a huge difference to the enjoyment factor of the final result. Floppy, limp bacon that’s falling away from the shrimp is NOT appealing. This method gets you perfectly crisp bacon that’s swaddled tightly around the shrimp, without burning.
For the crispiest bacon, make sure you have the correct grill set up.
Set up your grill for two zone cooking. This is where you will have all your coals piled to one side, creating a hot and cool zone (and a warmish zone in between!). If you have a propane grill, simply light one of the end burners to recreate the same effect. Though, if you are a propane user – I want to take this opportunity to implore you: PLEASE switch to charcoal. It’s really not difficult to light or manage, it gives you greater control over the cooking AND the taste results are SO much better.
For this recipe, you will be cooking the bacon wrapped shrimp entirely in the cool zone. That’s the secret to letting it render and get crispy without burning!
Other key tips for bacon wrapped shrimp recipe success:
- Be sure to use thin cut bacon
- Keep the bacon wrapped flat and tight around the shrimp – the better the wrap, the better it will form a “bacon jacket”
- If choosing to buy shell-on shrimp, I recommend this Gerber scalpel knife for deveining.
- You should definitely pick up some of my Hardcore Carnivore Red for the seasoning. The all-natural color and flavors are perfect for this recipe.
- I recommend using 16/20 size shrimp or larger.
Grilled bacon wrapped shrimp
- 16 large shrimp, uncooked
- 16 strips bacon (about a pound)
- Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning
- Start by peeling and deveining the shrimp (if not already done).
- Take one of the shrimp, and a single strip of bacon. Starting at one end, wind the bacon over the shrimp, overlapping as you wrap. Make sure the bacon is wrapped flat across the shrimp, and as tightly as possible. Repeat until all shrimp are wrapped.
- Place wrapped shrimp into fridge for 30-60 minutes to firm before grilling.
- Heat a grill for two zone cooking. The temp of the grill should be between 350-450f.
- Season the bacon well on both sides with Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning. Then place them on the cool or indirect side of the grill. Close the lid, and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- The shrimp are ready when the bacon is rendered and has a lovely color. If some pieces are not quite at the color or crispness you want, you can quickly finish them by grilling over direct heat for a minute.
Want to request a recipe?