Texture is everything with this creamy, crispy, crunchy, salty and savory recipe for wild dove meat.
Umami Bomb Grilled Meatballs with Sweet Teriyaki Glaze
Blending finely chopped mushrooms into the ground meat boosts the savory flavors and juiciness of these little balls of grilled goodness.
Aside from the mushroom blend, the secret to super tender meatballs is using ground veal rather than beef. The meat is more tender and the flavor more delicate and subtle. Paired with a shiny teriyaki glaze for a sweet finish, don’t be surprised if you find yourself doubling the recipe to “meat” demand.
Grilled blended meatballs with Sweet Teriyaki Glaze
- 8oz portabella mushrooms
- 3 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup panko
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 c Teriyaki sauce or marinade
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Start by making the meatball mix. Place the mushrooms, scallions and garlic into a blender or food processor, and blend until finely chopped.
- In a bowl, combine the mushroom mix with the panko and veal, and mix lightly until blended. Do not overwork the meat. Take 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and gently form into a ball. Repeat until all the meatballs have been formed. Place meatballs in the fridge to set, 30-60 minutes.
- Place the Teriyaki sauce and honey into a small saucepan, and set over a small flame. Reduce by half, until the mixture has formed a thick glaze.
- Heat a grill for two zone heat (the coals over to one side) with the hot side running about 400-450f.
- Place the meatballs over the coals to sear. Leave them for 3-4 minutes until a crust has formed and the ball released easily from the grate. If you try to move it too soon, it will fall apart. Turn the balls over and cook for 3-4 minutes on the opposite side. If necessary, repeat until a golden crust has formed.
- Once the meatballs are seared, move them onto the cool side of the grill to finish cooking. Brush with the reduced teriyaki glaze 2-3 times.
- Meatballs are done and safe to eat when they register 165f internal temperature.
Want to request a recipe?
This recipe keeps the dove breast juicy and has a couple of tricks for getting a SUPER crispy chicken-fried coating.
Rediscover the art and amazing flavor of real charcoal grilling with this simple but foolproof steak cooking method.