Packed with smokey sweet flavor and caramelized over charcoal, these Brown Sugar Bourbon pork skewers grill up in under 10 minutes.
Fresh Mint, Fennel & Apple Coleslaw
Hold the mayo! This crisp and fresh take on traditional slaw is a perfect pairing for pork.
Apple and fennel are both known for complimenting and highlighting the sweet flavor of pork based proteins. When sliced thinly (I prefer to use a mandoline), they make for a beautifully crunchy and fresh coleslaw alternative.
Forget the heavy mayo dressing – a simple cider vinegar based vinaigrette with hints of maple syrup is the perfect light dressing. Try pairing this coleslaw with smoked pork ribs for a fresh new take on a classic.
Fresh Fennel & Apple Coleslaw
- 1 fennel bulb, plus fronds
- 1/2 a firm red apple (I used Envy)
- 2 Tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- Use a mandoline to finely slice the fennel bulb and place into a bowl. Pick a few of the fennel fronds, and chop until you have roughly 1 tablespoon. Add fronds to bowl.
- Repeat the slicing process with the apple, and add to the bowl, along with the chopped mint.
- In a small jar, combine mustard, maple syrup, oil and vinegar. Place lid on the jar and shake vigorously to combine. Pour over the fennel mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Add salt to taste, toss again, then serve immediately.
Want to request a recipe?
Smoky, fatty, beefy and incredibly rich, these smoked bbq beef ribs are given an amazing crust thanks to their high contrast Black seasoning.
Lamb rack is a quick way to grill hot and fast with a big flavor result. Pair with this charred lime & mint salsa for a fresh and bright finish.