Juicy and perfectly pink, this smoked lamb leg takes an overnight marinade before being immersed in a smoke bath.
How to make easy slow cooker chicken tacos
You know what’s better than Tex-Mex food? Home made Tex Mex thats super cheap and ridiculously easy to make.
And it really doesn’t get much easier than these slow cooker chicken tacos.This recipe will be your new best friend for so very many reasons. It’s only about five minutes of prep, then you let the slow cooker do your work for eight hours. Actually, it also works well as a buffet style dinner, where guests can go along and choose different salsas to top their tacos. Or, just do what I did, and eat em on a lazy Saturday night on the couch with Super Troopers playing for the millionth time. Most shockingly, these things are actually pretty healthy for you, so its a win all around.
The only thing you need to bring to the table is tortillas and any additional fillings like rice or beans. Continuing the theme of quick and easy, I made a charred corn, jalapeño and scallion pico de gallo to freshen them up a bit, you can find the whole recipe here. Trust me, it pairs perfectly. Then just add some fresh cilantro to finish the whole thing off.
With rich flavours of tomato and chipotle these tacos are light enough for a summer time meal, but also filling enough to get you through colder months. Ok, so they may not be “authentically Mexican”, or even Tex Mex for that matter, but they taste really, really good.
PS – consider picking up a taco holder for easy table serving. They’re great for presentation!
Check out the idiot-proof recipe, right after the pics!
Easy slow-cooker chicken tacos
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 pack taco/fajita seasoning (OR the less lazy version, which is to use your own selection of Mexican spices, such as cumin, achiote, cayenne etc)
- 1 can diced tomatos (preferably fire roasted)
- 1/4 cup water
- fresh cilantro (coriander) and lime wedges for serving
- Place onions at the bottom of slow cooker, and place the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle on the seasoning or spice mix, and rub into chicken breasts. Then top it all with the can of diced tomatoes. Like em spicier? Chuck a can of chipotle in adobo in with the diced tomatoes!
- Add in the water just to put some liquid at the bottom of the cooker, then whack the lid on, turn it on low and cook em for 8 hours!! Yes, its STUPID easy.
- Once the chicken is cooked, just use two forks to shred it apart. You can either do this in a separate bowl if you prefer it “drier”, or return the shredded pieces to the tomato mixture for a super moist option.
- Grab a warm tortilla, fill with chicken mix, add your salsa, pico de gallo and any hot sauces (OOOOH caliente!!) and way you go!
Want to request a recipe?
Creamy on the inside, bubbly brown on top- these pimento cheese stuffed grilled jalapeno peppers (poppers!?) come together with only FOUR ingredients!
A little tropical, a little sweet. Paired with rice, this braised mango pork makes for a hearty and inexpensive meal.