Grilling adds a whole new layer of smokey flavor to these not-too-sweet frozen pink grapefruit margaritas. I’ve always been a big fan of...
Crispy, crunchy cream cheese & dove wontons
Texture is everything with this creamy, crispy, crunchy, salty and savory recipe for wild dove meat.
Yes it’s true- the most common way to prepare dove meat is to wrap it with bacon. Believe me when I tell you that you will NOT miss the bacon from this recipe. Yes, we can all agree bacon is delicious. But bacon also has a super powerful flavor thanks to the pork fat and the smoke, and those heavy flavors can often overpower more delicate meats. In that case, we’re gonna let the actual flavor of the wild game meat be the star of the dish.
I gotta tell you, I love this recipe because the dove cooks perfectly in about three minutes, and there’s so much texture going on! Super crispy wonton wrappers with soft and melty cream cheese… they really are THAT good. Even better – since each wonton uses half a dove breast, it makes the meat go further than traditional dove recipes.
And though the filling only has three ingredients, they all play an important role. Especially the seasoning. I use Hardcore Carnivore Amplify, which is a ‘mega-savory flavor dust” full of umami flavors that is perfect for flavoring the cream cheese. It gives it a “I dunno what that is, but it’s DELICIOUS” edge. It nearly tastes like mac’n’cheese powder, but there’s no cheese in it! You can grab a bottle here.
A note on getting your wontons crispy: the oil temperature is the key to ensuring the wontons are extremely crispy and not soggy. Optimal frying temp is 350-375f. Any lower than this, and the wrappers will just soak up all the oil and become greasy. I recommend using a quality thermometer to monitor the temperature. Remember, the oil temperature will drop as you add food, so let it come back up to temp between batches.
Once assembled, the wontons can be frozen or kept in the fridge for no more than 6 hours (or they will start to go soggy).
Crispy Cream Cheese & Dove Wontons
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Hardcore Carnivore Amplify
- 6 dove breasts
- 4-6 cups of oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese with Hardcore Carnivore Amplify. Cut each dove breast in half.
- Assemble a wonton by placing a teaspoon of seasoned cream cheese in the middle, then topping with a piece of dove breast. Use your finger to run some water along two of the edges to act like glue, then fold the wonton over the filling and seal. Repeat until all wontons are formed.
- Heat the oil in a pan until it reaches 350-375. Fry the wontons in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan, about 1-2 minutes. Flip to brown the other side and cook a further 1-2 minutes. The wonton is ready when the exterior is golden and bubbling.
- Drain on a rack or paper towel. Cool for 2-3 minutes then serve.
Want to request a recipe?
My version of this classic cajun gumbo is made even richer and more decadent by a daringly dark roux, creating a mega-flavor packed base to build on.
100% not authentic. 100% delicious. Check out the venison version of this beloved cheesy meatwhich.