Perfectly pink and tender meat inside with a gorgeous olden crust. You will love this classic recipe for oven roasted rack of lamb.
Cheese Stuffed Smoked Avocado ‘Bombs’
Ever warmed avocado before? It gets even silkier in texture and butterier in flavor. Stuff them with cheese and wrap them in breakfast sausage to create these decadent smoked avocado bombs.
You can assemble these up to a day ahead and just have them ready in the fridge – that plus a super quick cook time of only 45 minutes makes these avo bombs a simple treat for the smoker. Or, cook them up as a treat while you’re waiting on your brisket/pork butt/ribs to smoke.
If you prefer not to use breakfast sausage, you can use any ground meat, but make sure it has a good percentage of fat (MINIMUM 15%) to make sure everything stays moist. Experiment with other melty cheeses such as asiago, oaxaca, gouda to mix up the flavors.
A note on the avocados – you need to be choosy about the ripeness for this recipe. Too ripe/squishy and they will be impossible to form, but too firm and they won’t develop the buttery texture we are looking for. I try to find avocados that have slight give when firmly pressed.
To season these bombs, I used Hardcore Carnivore Red which also helped give it a great vivid color.
Smoked Avocado Bombs
- 2lb breakfast sausage
- 4 small avocados
- 6 oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 -3 tablespoons seasoning (Hardcore Carnivore Red)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, remove and discard the pit. Use a large spoon to scoop the flesh away from the skins and discard skin.
- Divide sausage into 8 round portions. Take one portion and use the heel of your palm to flatten it into a disc about 1/4" thick. Run a knife underneath the disc to loosen it from the board below.
- Place the disc in your hand, lay an avocado half (cut side up) in the disc then place a large tablespoon of cheese into the divot of the avocado. Gently bring the sausage around the avocado, and pinch and seams to form a seal. Repeat until all halves are wrapped, then refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat a smoker to run at 250f. Season the outside of the bombs with a generous sprinkle of Hardcore Carnivore Red.
- Place the bombs inside and cook for 35-40 minutes (the only thing that needs to cook is the meat, and it just needs to get hot enough to melt the cheese inside).
- Brush the bombs with BBQ sauce, and cook a further 3-5 minutes to set the sauce. Serve immediately.
Want to request a recipe?
Sure, we all know about venison chili, venison breakfast sausage and venison burgers. But there are SO many more interesting recipes you can...
Whether you want to use an oven, stove, smoker, grill or even a slow cooker, I have you covered. Learn how to make pulled pork on any type of cooker.