It can well be argued great steak needs no additions – but you won’t regret adding this amazing savory butter. This compound butter...
Boost your burger game with Candied Jalapeno Relish
A sweet, spicy and slightly sour relish perfect for slathering over burgers… or just about anything.
I’m nearly disappointed that it took me this long to come up with this recipe. One of my best friends, a lifelong Texan, exclaimed ‘GENIUS!’ when I told him about the idea. I think (as both a relish and candied jalapeno lover) he was a little upset he hadn’t thought of it either. I combine candied jalapenos with both sweet gherkins and some dill pickles for balance. The result is a sweet, warmly spicy and slightly sour relish you’ll end up putting on everything. This candied jalapeno relish is really incredible as a simple burger topping.
This relish is 1000% better when it’s allowed to mellow out, so I definitely recommend eating it the next day. It’ll keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.
Here’s the video recipe INCLUDING a handy “how to” for grilling burgers over charcoal:
Candied jalapeno relish
- 6 whole jalapenos (about 8oz)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 8 oz sweet gherkins
- 4 oz dill pickles
- Bring the sugar and vinegar to boil in a small saucepan.
- Chop the jalapenos into 1/4 inch rounds, discarding the stems. Once the sugar mixture is boiling, add in the peppers. Reduce the heat slightly to a high simmer, and cook for 10 minutes until the peppers change color.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the syrup, then place them into a food processor along with the gherkins and pickles. Pulse until everything is combined into a coarse paste.
- Store the candied jalapeño relish in a jar in the fridge for up to two weeks. Although it can be eaten right away, it tastes best after a day or two!
Want to request a recipe?