Grill up a double batch of these tasty and tailgate friendly appetizers, stuffed with all the cheese and bacon you can handle.
Chewy Chocolate Bacon Smores Cookies
The bacon craze is not over.
Sure, you can keep your bacon lip balm, bacon air freshener and even your bacon flavored lube (I wish I was kidding about that one, but apparently it was a real thing), but actual edible bacon will always be relevant. And delicious.
Just as acidic tomato or vinegar complements rich, fatty barbecue, salt complements sugar – balancing it and heightening the perception of different flavor layers. I’d already turned strips of bacon into a self-contained dessert with this praline bacon recipe, so it made perfect sense to pair it with the ubiquitous chocolate chip cookie, chewy, of course.
Truly, these cookies are spectacular just on their own, but much like opting for the queso covered tater tots instead of plain ol’ regular ones, sometimes adding a little indulgence works. I mean c’mon people, treat yo’self!
And so, with the addition of a light and fluffy marshmallow creme, the Bacon Smores Sandwich Cookie is born!
Chewy Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies (with bonus Smores upgrade)
- 1 x 12oz packet thick sliced bacon
- 2 x cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Chop bacon strips into small pieces and cook in a skillet until completed rendered and crisp, then drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C
- Cream butter with brown & white sugars in a bowl until color has lightened.
- Add in egg and egg yolk, and mix again until the mix is well combined.
- Add in flour, salt and baking soda, and mix until just combined. You don't want to overwork the mix at this stage.
- Add in chocolate chips and bacon, and use a wooden spoon to gently combine.
- Scoop mix onto lined baking trays, it's easiest to do this using a small ice cream scoop.
- Bake 16-18 minutes until just golden at the edges. Cookies will remain quite pale on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Want to request a recipe?
Simultaneously tender and crispy, these sumptuous hunks of ribeye steak are fried in lard until they turn a deep golden color of "EAT ME!".
Lamb ribs are one of the most incredibly flavorful cuts on the animal - fatty and rich enough to smoke to perfection in 3 hours.