1 x 6lb pork crown roast
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
3 Granny Smith apples
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups Manischewitz wine
- Preheat oven to 250f
- Pat outside of pork roast dry with paper towels, and place on a rack in baking tray.
- Combine salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl, then sprinkle liberally over entire roast. Drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Place roast in oven and cook until the centre reaches an internal temp of 145f. Note – the more tightly your roast is strung, the harder it may be to get completely even cooking. Ideally, there will be a small gap in the middle to allow air to move through. This cooking should take roughly 2hrs 15 min.
- Remove roast from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven to 475, and finish roast after resting for 10-15 minutes to create color on the outside.
- Remove from oven, cut and remove string then slice between the bones into chops to serve (you may want to do this tableside for maximum impact!).
- For the Drunken Apples: grate the Granny Smith apples with a large grater into a bowl. Squeeze the grated apples an pour out excess juice. Add the walnuts, cinnamon and wine, then stir to combine. Place in fridge for at least 1hr before serving to allow flavors to mingle and apple to soak up the wine. Serve with pork.