4lb boneless pork butt
45.36g/1.6oz of kosher salt
4.54g/0.16oz of pink curing salt
18.16g/0.64oz white sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the salt, pink salt, sugar, garlic, onion and black pepper.
- Rub this curing mix all over the pork butt, ensuring ALL of the cure ends up on the meat.
- Place the butt into a large resealable bag, then place it into the fridge to cure for 14 days. Once a day, flip the meat over and massage the contents of the bag to keep the cure distributing.
- After 14 days, remove the cured butt from the bag, and rinse under cold water.
- Pat the meat dry with a paper towel, then place the butt onto a rack.
- Place the rack into a smoker preheated to 180f for 2-3 hours, until the pork measures 160f internal temperature.
- Remove from smoker and allow to cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. Slice bacon as needed, then cook as usual (oven baked or pan cooked).
Pink curing salt cannot be substituted, and is not the same as Himalayan pink salt. You can purchase it online here.
Keywords: bacon, pork butt