2lb ground beef
½ cup crushed tortilla chips (about 2 oz)
6 tablespoons water or beef broth
4 oz canned green chiles
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
15 oz red enchilada sauce
2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese
- Preheat an oven to 350f.
- In a cup or small bowl, combine the finely crushed tortilla chips (they should be the size of large breadcrumbs) with the water or beef broth. Stir to make a thick paste. If the chips soak up all the liquid and seem dry, add another 1/4 cup of water.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, green chiles, salt, garlic, cumin, chipotle, onion and the crushed tortilla mix. Use your hands to blend everything together, mixing the ingredients as quickly as possible without overworking the meat.
- Form the ground beef mixture into balls, using about 1/3 cup of the mixture per ball. Do not overwork or form the meatballs too tightly.
- Place the meatballs in a large skillet or Pyrex-style baking dish, leaving space between them, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over/around the meatballs, and return to the oven for a further 7-10 minutes, or until the meatballs read 155f internal temperature.
- Sprinkle the cheese all over the meatballs, and return to the oven for one final time until melted, about 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: main
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: tex mex, meatballs, main