6 skinless chicken breasts
2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
- Trim chicken breasts from any excess fat or gristle.
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine mayo, BBQ sauce, garlic and salt. Stir well to combine. You can either marinade the chicken in this bowl if large enough or transfer chicken and marinade to a large zip top bag. Place into the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Heat a grill for two zone cooking. Remove the chicken from the marinade but do not try to wipe or remove it, you want as much mayo on the surface as possible.
- Lay the chicken over the direct heat, on the hot side of the grill, and cook until color develops but does not burn, about 2-3 minutes. Be careful that the mayo does not flare and burn. Turn the chicken and cook a further 2-3 minutes on the other side until a deep golden color has developed.
- Move the chicken to the cool side of the grill, to allow it to continue cooking to safe temperature without burning. Finish the remainder of the cook on the cool side of the grill, turning occasionally. When the chicken reads 163-165f at the thickest part of the breast, its ready to serve.