1 small onion, diced
4 large potatoes (like yukon gold), diced
6 oz bacon, cut into small pieces
4 cups chicken broth/stock
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 tablespoon Hardcore Carnivore Amplify
1/3 cup sour cream or greek yoghurt
1/4 c chopped scallions (optional)
Salt to taste
- Place a saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook the bacon bits until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Stir frequently, and when cooked use a slotted spoon to remove bacon pieces to a paper towel, leaving grease in the pan.
- Cook the onion pieces in the bacon fat until translucent and beginning to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Stir to avoid burning. When browned, remove onion pieces, leaving grease in the pan.
- Whisk the flour into the bacon grease to create a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, a small amount at a time. Add the chicken stock, whisking in a cup at a time. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in potato chunks and onion, and gently simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are completely soft, about 14-16 minutes.
- Use a fork or masher to break up the potatoes – this will thicken the soup but leave some chunks for texture. If you prefer, you can use a stick blender to create a creamier soup.
- Reduce heat and stir in the bacon, Amplify, cheese and sour cream (or greek yoghurt). Add salt to taste. Cook a further 2-3 minutes until blended and warmed.
- Serve soup with a garnish of chopped scallions – a perfect winter warmer!