2 lb flank steak
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup gochujang sauce (see note 1)
2 teaspoon Korean chili flakes
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon sesame oil (see note 2)
1 iceberg or butter lettuce
1 lime, cut into segments
- In a large container or gallon zip top bag, combine the soy, gochujang, Korean chili, ginger and oil. Add the flank steak, massaging the bag so the entire steak is well coated in marinade. Place in the fridge for 2-6 hours.
- Prepare the lettuce by washing and separating the leaves to used for wrapping the ssam.
- Heat a grill for medium high heat (450-550f) cooking.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and place onto the grill. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 135f, flipping the steak every 3 minutes. This should take approximately 10-15 minutes all up.
- Once the steak is at the correct temperature, remove it from the grill, cover loosley with foil and rest 10 minutes.
- Slice the flank steak against the grain, and serve with lettuce cups, Korean pickle, ‘crunchies’ and fresh lime.
Note 1: If you are using a gochujang paste instead of a sauce, you will need to dilute it with water to sauce consistency.
Note 2: If you don’t have sesame oil, you can omit it from the marinade, or replace with a small amount of canola or vegetable oil.
- Cuisine: asian