10 large Jalapeños, sliced lengthways and de-seeded
8 slices of bacon, chopped, cooked and cooled.
1/3 cup pulled pork
1 cup crushed cracklins (see note 1)
8 oz cream cheese, softened.
1/4 cup shredded cheese (something tasty or with bite is recommended)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 320/160 and line a tray with baking paper.
- Add spices and salt to cream cheese, mix well to combine.
- Add shredded cheese, pork and bacon, and mix gently until evenly combined.
- Take a jalapeno half and using a spoon, scoop in a heaped teaspoon of the mixture, sealing the mix against the sides of the pepper. You should not scrape them flat, but leave a mount of mix to stick the crumb to.
- Press the stuffed side of the jalapeno into the cracklin crumb, then place on baking tray.
- Repeat until all halves are done, then place into the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, keeping an eye to ensure the cracklins aren’t getting too brown. Remove and allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Note 1: To crush the chicharrones/cracklins, place them into a ziplock bag and smash them with a rolling pin or mallet.