The perfect grilling recipe for the spooky season, these devil claws are dripping in BBQ sauce ‘blood’.
They look like a trick, but taste like a treat. The gnarly, scaly claw shape is thanks to one easy hack – a straightened-out chicken wing! Yup, all you need to create these monstrous devil’s claws are whole chicken wings, which are spread out and held in place by a single skewer. You’ll need black food coloring, Black seasoning and I recommend Hardcore Carnivore Burnt Ends Sauce for the bloody claw tips! Print
5 lb whole chicken wings
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons black food coloring
2–4 tablespoons Black seasoning
Hardcore Carnivore Burnt Ends Sauce or other BBQ sauce
- place the chicken wings in a resealable bag.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, chicken broth and black food coloring. Mix to combine, then pour over chicken wings and seal bag.
- Massage the bag so the marinade is evenly distributed and all the wings are coated, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Discard the marinade, then work one at a time to stretch the chicken wings out, and insert a singe skewer to help it hold shape. It’s easiest to do this from the back side of the wing. Repeat until all wings are stretched and secured.
- Season generously with Black seasoning.
- Prepare a grill for indirect cooking, then place the chicken wings on the cool/indirect side. Close the lid and cook for 20 minuted until meat is thoroughly cooked and skin has crisped.
- To serve, dip the wings tips in Hardcore Carnivore burnt ends sauce “blood”.