1 x whole tri tip steak
2 teaspoons Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning
3 oz argula (about 2 cups)
2 oz grated or shaved parmesan (1/3 cup)
2 oz chopped walnuts (1/3 cup)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare a grill for high heat, two zone cooking. This means you should have one hot/direct area, and one cooler/indirect area.
- Pat the tri tip dry with paper towel, then season well on all sides with the Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt if not using seasoning).
- Lay the tri tip over the hot side of the grill to start cooking, and flip it every 30 seconds. Make sure to flip it onto the thick edges, too. Once you have developed a color or crust (about 5-7 minutes), move the tri tip to the indirect side of the grill and close the lid.
- Finish cooking the tri tip over indirect heat until the internal temperature reaches 135f. This will take between 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the cut and heat of your grill, so keep monitoring it.
- While the steak cooks, make the pesto by combining the arugula, parmesan, salt and walnuts in a food processor. Blitz until all ingredients turn into a coarse paste. Add the olive oil and pulse a few times to blend, but to not over mix or the oil with emulsify.
- Once the steak is at temperature, remove it from the grill and rest under foil for 10 minutes.
- Slice the tri tip across the grain, and serve with the arugula pesto.