3–4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons sumac
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground allspice
4 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 red onion
- Cube the chicken thighs and place into a resealable bag.
- Add the oil, sumac, salt, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, garlic, and vinegar to the bag. Seal the bag then massage the mix to coat all the pieces. Place into the refrigerator and marinade for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat your grill for two zone cooking, with a full chimney of charcoal placed to one side of the grill, creating a hot and cool zone.
- Peel the onion, then slice in half across the middle. Cut each half 6 times to create onion wedges.
- Thred the chicken pieces onto skewers two at a time, alternating with a wedge of onion. (Pro tip: metal skewers work best since they do not burn!)
- Cook the chicken skewers over the direct coals for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook a further 2-3 minutes on the other side. The chicken should have nice color and char, but not be burnt.
- To finish safely cooking the chicken thoroughly, move the skewers to the indirect side of the grill, and close the lid. Cook until the chicken reads 165f on a meat thermometer (about 10-15 minutes).
- Method: Grilling