1 boneless pork butt, about 3–4 lb
2 cups sweet soda
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 cloves garlic
- Place the pork butt into the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the butt into strips, no more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the pork into a sealable bag, then add the soda, fish sauce, sugar, soy, vinegar and salt. Smash the garlic cloves with a side of a knife and add to the bag. Seal, then place in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Heat a grill for medium cooking, about 350f.
- Place the skewers onto the heated grill. I turn them 3-4 times during the cook to allow them to color without burning, and cook evenly to a safe temperature. Turn the skewers after 5 minutes, then cook a further 5 minutes and turn again. Cook another 5-7 minutes. You may need to turn the skewers more frequently during the final minutes to stop them from burning.
- Remove from grill and serve.
You can use pineapple or orange flavored soda, or try something more neutral like sprite.
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Asian