1 x 5 lb piece of pork belly
1–2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon fish sauce
Optional to serve: coleslaw, slider rolls, cilantro.
- Slice pork belly into ½ inch strips, then cut the strips into thirds.
- Season the strips lightly with salt.
- Heat a grill for two zone cooking (instructions above).
- Place the pork belly pieces over the hot side of the grill, being very cautious about flare ups. Cook for just a few minutes per side to develop some color, then move the pieces to the cool/indirect side of the grill.
- In a bowl, combine soy, honey and fish sauce and stir until honey is dissolved.
- Flip and baste the pork belly pieces with the sauce every 5-7 minutes, keeping the lid closed between flips. Continue with this method until the belly has cooked for a total of 30 minutes.
- To serve – toast the Hawaiian buns quickly over the dying coals, then layer with some coleslaw, add the pork belly and some cilantro. Because of the glaze there’s no need to add extra sauce, but if you’re a fan of heat you may like to add hot sauce or sriracha.