Surf and turf, but make it appetizer. Mini crab cakes and smokey andouille sausage are seared on the griddle for extra flavor and texture.
No griddle? No problem. You can easily create this recipe in a large skillet, too!
Griddled mini crab cakes with seared andouille
- Total Time: 35 minutes
1 lb crab meat
2 tablespooons chopped parsley
2/3 cup toasted panko
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons hot sauce
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespooon Hardcore Carnivore Red seasoning
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
14 oz andouille sausage
4 tablespoons salted butter
- Prepare the crab cakes. In a bowl, place the crab meat, parsley, panko and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, egg, hot sauce, seasoning and dijon mustard.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the crab, and gently fold until everything is combined.
- Spoon about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the mixture into your hands, and shape into a small patty, then place on a sheet pan or tray. Repeat until all cakes are formed, then place the tray into the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably 2 hours.
- Slice the andouille into pieces about 3/4 of an inch wide.
- Preheat a griddle for medium high cooking. Start by searing the andouille sausage pieces for 2-3 minutes per side. They should develop a nice brown crust, then set aside.
- Place the butter onto the griddle, and once melted place the crab cakes on top. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side. They should develop a golden crust, and warm through. Use care when flipping as they are fragile.
- To serve, layer a slice of seared andouille on the crab cake, then top with a spoonful of seed mustard or pickled mustard seeds.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Method: griddle
- Cuisine: american