1 whole roaster chicken
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3 whole cloves garlic
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter (2 oz)
1 tablespoon salt
- Preheat an oven to 425f. Place a rack into a deep roasting pan and add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl combine parmesan, garlic powder and parsley then set aside.
- Prepare the chicken and remove any giblets from the cavity. Cut away any large flaps of fat near the cavity opening then pat the whole bird dry with paper towel.
- Cut the lemon in half and stuff it and the garlic cloves inside the cavity. If you have any parsley stems left over you can stuff them in there too.
- Take half the butter and rub all over the chicken, massaging into the skin. Season the bird all over with salt then place breast side up onto the rack in the roasting pan.
- Take the parmesan mixture and press it onto the skin of the chicken to form a crust all over the top. Spray with a light mist of oil and place into the oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes to develop color, then reduce heat to 375f. Melt the remaining butter and dab it gently onto the parmesan crust using a pastry brush. Continue roasting the chicken until a thermometer registers at 160f at the thickest part of the thigh, about one hour.
- Remove from oven and loosely cover with foil to rest 10-15 minutes before serving.