6 cups of vegetable oil for frying
2 medium to large green tomatoes
1.5 cups yellow cornmeal
0.25 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 small onion, finely chopped.
- Put oil in heavy based saucepan or pot, and heat to a temperature of 365-375f.
- Chop the tomatoes into medium-sized chunks. Discard some of the ‘wet seeds’ as you are preparing the tomato, you’re really only looking to use the flesh.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the mixture then add in egg and buttermilk, stirring until just combined. Finally, stir in onion and tomato until evenly mixed.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil, and use a skimmer to flip over after a few minutes, to brown both sides. Once golden brown, remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain. Work in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pot. Allow the oil to come back up to optimum temperature between batches.
- Serve cooked hush puppies while still warm.