1.5kg/3pound flank steak
1 bottle Mexican beer
1 bunch cilantro/coriander (use the root for the marinade and the leaves to finish or for salsa)
2 large navel oranges, juiced
3 garlic cloves, minced/finely sliced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tsp mild-medium chile powder (ancho, chipotle, etc, if using cayenne, use a smaller amount)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt & pepper
- Rub dry ingredients over flank steak and put into a bowl/container
- Add in all wet ingredients, cover and put in fridge to marinade from 1-4 hours.
- Don’t leave it longer than this – the beer and fruit juice acid will break down the flesh too much.
- Remove steak from fridge a half hour or so before cooking.
- Heat a grill (preferably charcoal) to searingly hot, at least 450f.
- Place steak on grill, brushing off any chunks of garlic or coriander root.
- Cook flank steak flipping every minute for a total cook time of about 15-20 minutes. Do not cook beyond medium rare.
- Rest under foil for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.