whole turkey, about 16lb
1/4–1/2 cup Hardcore Carnivore seasoning
1 stick salted butter, softened
- Spatchcock the turkey by cutting along the spine on both sides, and removing. Remove any giblets or neck pieces. Use a knife to score the breast bone, the flip the turkey breast side up, and press down to crack the breast bone flat. Tuck the wing tips under the breast to prevent burning. All the turkey meat should now be facing upwards.
- Heat a smoker to 450f.
- Use your thumb to create a pocket between the skin and meat over the breast and thighs, then stuff the pockets with butter.
- Season the turkey liberally with the Hardcore Carnivore seasoning.
- Place meat side up into the smoker, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 275f, and cook until the breast meat measures 165f internal temperature. For a 16lb turkey this will take about 2 hours. The cook time will increase if the bird is larger.
- Remove from smoker and serve.