2 racks of baby back ribs
8–10 cups of frying oil (peanut is best)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rice flour (see note 1)
1 tablespoon five spice powder
4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Place the oil into a large heavy based pot or deep fryer, and heat to 375f.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the racks of ribs between the bones, to create individual ribs. Season the ribs with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- In a shallow bowl, place the AP and rice flour, along with the five spice and remaining salt.
- When the oil is at temperature, drop a rib into the flour to coat on all sides. Shake off excess, then gently lower into the oil. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot. Cook ribs for 7 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove using a spider or tongs, and place on paper towel to drain.
- Wait for oil to return to optimal temperature between batches. You can keep the ribs warm on a rack in a 200f oven while cooking remaining batches.
- Serve immediately with optional sweet chili dipping sauce.
Note 1: rice flour helps to create a super crisp shell. You can find it in Asian markets or online. If you can’t get your hands on it, you can just use AP flour for the entire coating.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fried ribs, pork