2 lb chicken wings, flats and drumettes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 teaspoons baking powder (NOT soda)
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2.5 tablespoons chili crisp
1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat an oven to 250f.
- Pat the wings VERY dry with a paper towel. This step is crucial to achieving a crunchy wing. Place the well dried wings into a bowl or bag, then add the salt and baking powder, and shake until well coated.
- Line a sheet pan with foil to catch any mess, then place a rack on top of the foil. Lay the ‘powdered’ wings on the rack, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 415f, and bake a further 40 minutes. It’s also helpful to move the wings to a rack at the top of the oven for this stage, if possible.
- Remove the wings from the oven, and allow to cool 5-7 minutes. As the wings cool they will also become crispier. Letting the wings cool a little also makes it easier to get a good coat from the glaze.
- While the wings cool, combine the honey, corn syrup, chili crisp and soy in a small saucepan. Heat briefly for 1 minute, stirring the ingredients together. The idea is to loosen the mixture a little, but not make it too runny.
- Use tongs to place the wings into a large bowl. Pour the glaze over, then toss to coat well. Pour onto a plate, scraping out any extra sauce left behind in the bowl, then serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes