2.5 lb whole chicken wings (about 10)
4–6 tablespoons Hardcore Carnivore Red rub
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (optional)
For the Brine:
24 oz beer
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
5–6 allspice berries
1 lemon, sliced
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp peppercorns
- Start by making the brine. In a saucepan, combine all brine ingredients and heat over medium flame until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove brine from heat and allow to cool. Place chicken in a large non reactive bowl or zip top bag and pour over room temperature brine. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat a smoker to run at 250f.
- Remove from the brine, discarding the liquid, and rinse under cold water. Pat each wing dry and arrange on a rack or tray. Generously season on both sides with Hardcore Carnivore Red rub.
- Place wings in to the smoker, meat side up. You’ll keep them this way throughout the entire cook – if you turn them you will lose the crust you have been building up. Cook wings until a thermometer registers 165f at the thickest part of the meat.
- At this stage, you have great dry rub smoked wings. To turn them into a sauced wing, simply brush bbq sauce across the top of each wing and continue to smoke for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has set and gelled.