A twist on classic cottage pie, this beef & sweet potato casserole has all the goodness of a classic comfort food recipe with the added bonus of a bubbling cheesy crust.
Ground beef is such a versatile ingredient to keep on hand. I keep 1 lb blocks of it in my freezer, because it’s such a tasty and easy foundation to so many great meals (like this classic chili, or these tex mex meatballs!) This casserole is a particular favorite because it’s a real freezer-raider, using both ground beef and frozen veg. Heck, you can even boil the sweet potato from frozen. So it’s perfect if you’re scrounging around for a quick and easy dinner option.Print
Beef & Sweet Potato Casserole With Cheesy Crust
2lb ground beef
3–4 lb sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 onion, diced
8 oz frozen mixed vegetables
15 oz tomato sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Place in a large pot of salted water, and boil until completely tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the onion, and cook 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent and browning at edges.
- Add the beef to the onion, then sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix the spices into the meat, breaking it up with a spoon, and allow to cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, tomato sauce and mixed vegetables, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and then return them to the boiling pot. Add butter, milk and remaining salt, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You can mash the potatoes by hand using a masher, but they will be lumpier unless you push them through a sieve or strainer.
- Layer the meat mixture into a casserole dish, then spoon the potatoes over the top, spreading to cover the meat completely.
- Spread shredded cheese on top of the potato, and place under a broiler to until golden brown to form the cheesy crust, about 2-4 minutes.
- Category: main
Keywords: main, beef