3 whole acorn squash
3/4 cup pecans
1lb ground beef
1.5 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded & finely diced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the very top and bottom off each acorn squash to allow them to sit flat. Then slice them through the middle and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash with the hollow side up on a baking tray, spray with oil and season with salt. Place into the hot oven to roast until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Toast the pecans in a pan until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes, then coarsely chop.
- In a large pot, brown the meat, seasoning well with salt, then remove and set aside. Add the onion and jalapeno to the pot and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the bell pepper and cook a further 2 minutes. Return the beef to the pan, add the cooked quinoa, pecans, cumin, garlic powder and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the filling into the hollows of each squash half, pressing the mixture in and forming a mound on top. Sprinkle each half with pepperjack cheese, and return to the oven until cheese has melted, 5-7 minutes.
- Serve & eat immediately.