3 medium or 2 large onions
1.5 lb bacon
1 tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp kosher salt
¼c balsamic vinegar
½c brown sugar
Optional: dash of bourbon
- Char the onions, skin on, over hot coals, turning every minute for about 5 minutes all up.
- Allow onions to cool, remove skin. Slice or chop into pieces same size as bacon.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and cook in heavy based saucepan or skillet until fat has completely rendered and all pieces are crisp.
- Remove from pan, leave a little remaining fat.
- Add onions, chipotle, paprika, salt and garlic salt to the pan, cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in vinegar, honey, sugar and optional bourbon. Increase heat to high and boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in cooked bacon, reduce heat and let mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes until desired thickness is reached. The mixture will thicken slightly on cooling but careful not to take it off the heat before it’s done, otherwise you’ll have more of a chunky sauce than a jam.
- Spoon into clean jars for storage, you can heat in microwave before use.