Juicy chicken thighs with a layer of golden crispy skin with a sauce made from Guajillo chilis with fresh orange and tequila.
The best ever queso recipe.
Real quick, for anyone who has not been to Texas or the Southwest, you need to understand queso is not just a food snack, but a basic human right. Ok, maybe more of an obsession. Essentially, it is warm dip of melted, highly processed cheese blocks and a little bit of love.
There are some things in life that can benefit from being re-invented and improved – medicines, phone technologies and Johnny Manziel’s attitude. And then there are things that should have been left just as they were, before someone came along and tried to mess with them. The classics don’t always need help. Case in point: most movie prequels, Kenny Roger’s face and using trashy Velveeta in queso.
For those who may not have first hand Velv-sperience, the blocks of this solid ‘dairy’ product feel like a latex foam sponge and do not require refrigeration. All that aside, it is the undisputed essential ingredient in most people’s home made queso recipes, especially when you want it to taste like the comfort food of your childhood.
This is best made in a slow cooker to keep it nice and melty, but an enameled cast iron pot holds the heat well too. It’ll be a huge hit at parties, which is just as well because the recipe makes enough to feed a small cheese loving village.
Tex Mex Queso dip with sausage
- 1 x 32oz pack of Velveeta original
- 1 x can cream of mushroom soup
- 16oz of spicy pork sausage
- 1 x 8oz block of cream cheese
- 1 x 10oz can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chile
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Brown the sausage in a skillet - this is the only cooking it will see so make sure it's cooked thoroughly.
- In a slow cooker or heavy based pan, melt the Velveeta, cream cheese and mushroom soup, stirring frequently.
- Once melted, add the browned meat and canned tomatoes, stir until combined.
- That's it! you've made queso!
Want to request a recipe?
Inspired by the bubbling hot skillets of melted cheese, these smoked Queso Fundido meatballs have molten green chile and cheese centres.
Beef short rib is braised until deliciously tender, then mingled with tomato, wine and herbs to create this incredible sauce. Try this recipe for...