The humble pork chop receives a double upgrade of flavor and texture with this crunchy spiced pecan crust.
‘Pigwheels’ with prosciutto & salami
With just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes prep time, these Pigwheels with prosciutto & salami make for a great appetizer snack.
If you’re a cooking enthusiast, chances are you enjoy all manner of recipes. From long, slow braises to complex dishes with hard-to-source ingredients. But for every 30-step recipe in your arsenal, you probably have an incredibly quick and easy one that you cherish for it’s simplicity. These pigwheels are certainly the latter.
Comprised of just 5 ingredients (quite possibly ones you may already have mooching around in your fridge), Pigwheels are easy to assemble, fast to cook and look WAY more complicated and fancy than they actually are. Let’s be honest here, any compliment on one’s cooking is a good compliment.
Pigwheels are as simple as layering puff pastry with selected meats and cheeses, then rolling up tight into a log. When sliced, each section now appears as a pretty spiral. A pretty, cheesy, crunchy spiral with two types of porky goodness…
Recipe after the pics:
'Pigwheels' with prosciutto & salami
- 2 sheets puff pastry (approx 1lb)
- 3 oz salami, thinly sliced
- 3 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 6 oz shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425f.
- If frozen, allow the pastry sheets to come to room temperature so they are pliable, then lay them flat on a board.
- Layer the prosciutto onto each pastry sheet, leaving a 1" gap along one edge. You will use this to seal up the roll at the end, so it needs to be free from any filling.
- Spread a generous amount of cheese over the prosciutto layer, then top with a layer of salami.
- Brush some beaten egg along the bare edge of the pastry. Starting at the end opposite the bare edge, roll the pastry in on itself to form a cylinder. Press the edge gently to form a seal. Repeat with the second sheet.
- Cut the roll into 1/2 inch portions, then lay them flat on a parchment lined baking tray. Brush the tops with more beaten egg.
- Place rolls into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Want to request a recipe?
A brilliant plan to unite the awesomeness of a cheeseburger with a satisfying breakfast sandwich results in the Cheeseburger Breakfast Muffin, or...
Double patties piled high, topped with a mess of green chile & queso on a Potato Roll. Get your mouth ready to experience the glory.